- A Georgia mother, Lisa Martin, has been hailed as a “miracle patient” after recovering from a brutal, three-month hospital stay for coronavirus-related complications.
- “Her amazing journey includes 59 days on a ventilator, 40 days in an induced coma, and surviving a frontal lobe stroke,” Memorial Satilla Health wrote in a Facebook post.
- Martin was comatose since late October and the hospital asked her family to decide whether to remove her from her ventilator.
- One day before the family wanted to make their decision, Martin woke up, the hospital said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A Georgia woman praised as a “miracle patient” finally walked out of a local hospital on New Year’s Eve, after months of treatment for COVID-19, including 40 days in a medically induced coma.
Lisa Martin, a 49-year-old mother of four, was first hospitalized at Memorial Satilla Health in Waycross, Georgia in late September, the hospital said in a statement.
—Dawn White (@DawnWhiteNews) December 31, 2020
“Her amazing journey includes 59 days on a ventilator, 40 days in an induced coma, and surviving a frontal lobe stroke,” Memorial Satilla Health wrote in a Facebook post on December 31.
According to the hospital, staff eventually called in Martin’s family and asked them to make a decision about taking her off life support. The family opted to wait 11 days before agreeing on what to do.
“But God had other plans. On the eleventh day, Lisa broke through the sedatives and began tracking Jeff with her eyes and she moved her hand,” the hospital said.
Martin was then sent to two other hospitals for additional treatment and rehabilitation. Her recovery included re-learning to “walk, talk, swallow, eat,” Martin told First Coast News.
“I have to wear oxygen 24 hours a day, and I have to walk with a walker or a wheelchair for long distances,” Martin told the news station. “The doctors think I should make a full recovery.”
One of Martin’s daughters, Madison, told PEOPLE the journey “has changed our lives for the better.”
She continued: “Did it suck for my mom to get COVID, almost die and now fight to get back to having a normal life? Absolutely! But if God wanted to use my mom as an example on how to keep faith during struggles, dark times and hardships, then I thank God for using my mom.”